[postgis-devel] [postgis-tickets] r14554 - update version info, add note about upgradeable_versions.mk

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Jan 6 06:04:57 PST 2016

Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 06, 2016 at 08:30:04AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
>
>> It could be reasonable to expect that anyone who runs an rc for real (vs
>> testing it) should be expected to upgrade to the corresponding release
>> first.
>
> Right, but there's no way to upgrade from an rc to a final
> unless we leave those names in the PostgreSQL extension upgrade
> scripts.

I meant that the version in 2.2.0 would have bits to upgrade from
2.2.0rc1, but that 2.2.1 would not.

> One thing that might make packaging easier would be avoiding
> to make _copies_ of those files but rather rely on symlinks
> or have the package post-install script make copies on systems
> that do not support symlinks. If you look at those zillion files
> many are just identical:
>
>  # ls `pg_config --sharedir`/extension/postgis*  | wc -l
>  954
>
>  # md5sum `pg_config --sharedir`/extension/postgis*  |
>    awk '{print $1}' |
>    sort -u | wc -l
>  156

Both symlinks and having the post-install script make copies are not
easier.  What I do now is edit a control file in the packaging system
that lists the expected files.  Symlinks count as files :-).  So it
would have to be on-the-fly, or it won't help.  I suspect it's best to
just put up with it, as on-the-fly generation seems unnecessarily
complex, harder to test, etc.

Some people think the manual manifest is a bug, but it is actually quite
useful.  When I update pkgsrc from 2.1.8 to 2.2.0 I discovered that
there were several unintended/wrong changes to where some of the
topology files were installed.  And then I noticed the presence of a
2.2.0.rc1 ugrade script (and lack of one from 2.2.0) when testing my
hand-rolled not-really-right rc distfile.