[postgis-devel] [postgis-tickets] r14554 - update version info, add note about upgradeable_versions.mk

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Wed Jan 6 05:51:30 PST 2016

On Wed, Jan 06, 2016 at 08:30:04AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> It could be reasonable to expect that anyone who runs an rc for real (vs
> testing it) should be expected to upgrade to the corresponding release
> first.

Right, but there's no way to upgrade from an rc to a final
unless we leave those names in the PostgreSQL extension upgrade
scripts.

One thing that might make packaging easier would be avoiding
to make _copies_ of those files but rather rely on symlinks
or have the package post-install script make copies on systems
that do not support symlinks. If you look at those zillion files
many are just identical:

 # ls `pg_config --sharedir`/extension/postgis*  | wc -l
 954

 # md5sum `pg_config --sharedir`/extension/postgis*  |
   awk '{print $1}' |
   sort -u | wc -l
 156