[postgis-devel] shp2pgsql

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sun Jan 24 18:47:07 PST 2016

On 1/24/2016 4:38 PM, Stefan Keller wrote:
> David, PostGIS developers
>
> David: Is there any update on parallelizing shp2pgsql?

Having used shp2pgsql with large (>100GB) data loads, I'm not sure
there's a huge gain to be had by parallelizing shp2pgsql. Every case
I've seen where it was being used for a large data load involved a data
source distributed as multiple shapefiles which could be loaded in
parallel, and dealing with parallelization on that level is generally
more efficient.

This isn't to say that there wouldn't be any benefit, just that it's
limited in usefulness.