[postgis-devel] A snap for PostGis

Julia Palandri julia.palandri at canonical.com
Mon Nov 28 09:08:22 PST 2016

Hi everyone!

I’m Julia. I work at Canonical on the engineering team building Ubuntu and
Snapcraft [1].

We’re working on snaps, a platform to enable ISVs to address a considerably
wider audience while retaining full control over updates. Snaps are
“write-once, run on many distro versions”, including both Ubuntu 14.04,
16.04, and many others (http://snapcraft.io/docs/core/install) - they make
dependency problems a thing of the past, and offer early adopters the
possibility to try new features as soon as they’re committed to trunk, all
with minimum effort from your side (the hosting on our side is
complimentary ;)).

Snaps help also to handle upgrades: they’re done transparently for users,
which is convenient for them and for you (no users stuck in a super old
version no longer supported, no work need to be done by them). And, in case
anything bad happens (because… bad things sometimes happen :D) there will
always be the chance of rollback available.

I first wrote to a member of the PSC, who asked me to write here instead.

I was wondering if you’d be willing to discuss some ideas on how we can
help deliver PostGis to many more users?

Cheers,

[1] http://snapcraft.io/

--

Julia