[postgis-devel] A snap for PostGis

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Mon Nov 28 10:20:38 PST 2016

Hi Julia,
I have a number of questions, none of which really bear on us actually
doing the work to make a snap :)
- how is this different from other Ubuntu/Canonical initiatives like Juju
and Charms?
- is this a Canonical/Linux flavour of Docker (lighter, better, Linux-only)?
- PostGIS is a run-time loadable DLL for PgSQL. Can the PgSQL snap really
reach into another snap (PostGIS) and load the .so from there? Seems like
we rather heavily break the isolation model.
- How does the PgSQL snap deal with major version updates? It's all very
well going from 9.4.1 to 9.4.2, but 9.4 to 9.5 can be a huge deal and is
fraught with dangers. Just run pg_upgrade and cross your fingers? We'd have
to run SQL directly on the database, and potentially with quite high
privilege (foreach db with postgis, run 'alter extension postgis update to
'...'"
Thanks!