[postgis-devel] extensions not building in 2.4.2?

Tom van Tilburg tom.van.tilburg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 01:56:16 PST 2017

Doing a fresh build on ubuntu 17.04 with:
./autogen.sh
./configure

I expect the extensions directory to be added to GNUMakefile, but it
doesn't. Same procedure for  2.4.1 *does* build the extensions.

Looking into the configure.ac, it seems to boil down to:
EXTENSIONS=""
if test \
        "x$XSLTPROC" != "x" -o \
        -e doc/postgis_comments.sql -a \
        -e doc/raster_comments.sql;

then
  if test "x$RASTER" = "xraster"; then
      AC_MSG_RESULT([enabling PostgreSQL extension support...])
      EXTENSIONS=extensions
      AC_SUBST([EXTENSIONS])
  fi
fi

This part is the same in 2.4.1 and 2.4.2 and the only thing that I can see
that changes the outcome is the removal of doc/postgis_comments.sql
and doc/raster_comments.sql

from the 2.4.2 distribution.

Now, since the SQL files were not supposed to be there in the first place
(they have been put in .gitignore) it seems that all these years I have
been building extensions illegally and free-riding on the distributed
comments files (never ran into trouble with it). Is my assumption correct
that the pre-2.4.2 configuration was wrong? And that I should fix my setup
to build these comments files in order to get extensions back?

Best,
 Tom