[postgis-devel] CMake support

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Oct 3 05:46:52 PDT 2017

On 3 October 2017 at 14:38, Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski
<me at komzpa.net> wrote:

> We've got two PRs with CMake support.
>
> https://github.com/postgis/postgis/pull/1
> https://gitlab.com/postgis/postgis/merge_requests/2
>
> CMake allows to use JetBrains CLion as IDE for development, apart from being
> a different builf system.
>
> First PR is not maintained since 2012, second one is more recent.

Rebasing should be pretty easy. Fancy a go?

> I proposed to close the first one, @‎mloskot‎ asked me on IRC to send a mail  to this list about it.

There seem to be misunderstanding.
I did not ask you to ask about my PR specifically, as I don't see any
reason to close it, unless it is officially rejected by the core team.

You seemed eager to clean up the 'clutter' of open tickets
and I suggest to ask postgis-devel if it is a good idea to run a clean-up.
Mind you, there are tickets decade old dangling at
https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis
and nobody seem to have a problem  with them being a 'clutter'

> It also seems like second one wasn't merged. Is anybody aware of the reason?

In the post-Paris code sprint times, CMake'ification of PostGIS did gather
enough attention and it was rather an experiment than a feature on demand.

Perhaps this has changed now and PostGIS core team is interested in
maintaining CMake build as official. See Paul's post [2]

"The CMake thing remains as the eventual prod to make a big build re-org happen
 but I’m not sure who’s going to grasp that nettle or when :)"

[2] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-devel/2014-December/024659.html

One-shot contribution of CMake build, without promise of long-term
maintenance brings more trouble (to the core team too) than help.

Best regards