[postgis-devel] CMake support

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Tue Oct 3 06:28:15 PDT 2017

On 03/10/17 13:38, Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We've got two PRs with CMake support.
>
> https://github.com/postgis/postgis/pull/1
> https://gitlab.com/postgis/postgis/merge_requests/2
>
> CMake allows to use JetBrains CLion as IDE for development, apart from
> being a different builf system.
>
> First PR is not maintained since 2012, second one is more recent.
> I proposed to close the first one, @‎mloskot‎ asked me on IRC to send a
> mail to this list about it.
>
> It also seems like second one wasn't merged. Is anybody aware of the reason?

The main reason was that PostgreSQL (and its associated build system)
support many more platforms than CMake when I last looked at it, so
you'd either end up having to support more than one build system or lose
PostGIS support from some architectures/platforms.

Having said that following the recent discussion on pgsql-hackers I
think several platforms got culled as part of the recent atomics rework
(and perhaps CMake have also improved their platform support in the
meantime) so it could be worth someone taking another look.

ATB,

Mark.