[postgis-devel] --enable-debug ?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Wed Sep 6 13:41:01 PDT 2017

Anybody regularly compiling with ./configure --enable-debug?

I ask because I see it doesn't do much except crank POSTGIS_DEBUG_LEVEL up
to a relatively intolerable value of 4.

I don't personally use POSTGIS_DEBUG_LEVEL at all in my dev work anymore, I
just attach gdb and go from there; when I did use it, I generally tweaked
in on a file-by-file basis because otherwise the message flood was
impossible to handle.

I'd like to reclaim --enable-debug and have it do what I would expect it to
do, namely add the -g flag to the build, and turn on more expensive memory
checks that are guarded behind PARANOIA_LEVEL.

Thoughts?