[postgis-devel] Bumping dependencies versions for PostGIS 3.0

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 2 00:17:17 PST 2018

On 12/1/18 7:31 PM, Regina Obe wrote:
> GEOS 3.7.0 – do we really need to enforce this.  I've got mixed
> feelings about this one.  I think there are quite a few packages
> stuck on 3.6, and people using PostGIS 3.0 WAY MORE than I want
> GEOS 3.7.0 to be a required.  We already have a warning saying –
> that you will be missing some functionality if using 3.7.  We
> can augment that to "Missing some enhancements and stability
> improvements as well".  I'd like to hear what packagers think on
> this one.  In particular I am concerned about apt.postgresql.org
> and yum.postgresql.org

Debian stretch (stable) has GEOS 3.5.1,
testing (buster) & unstable (sid) have 3.7.0 and will get 3.7.1 once it
it's accepted from the NEW queue after FTP master review.

See: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/geos

Ubuntu trusty (LTS) has GEOS 3.4.2,
xenial (LTS) has 3.5.0,
bionic (LTS) & cosmic (non-LTS) have 3.6.2,
only disco the current (non-LTS) development release has recently synced
3.7.0 from Debian.

See: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/geos

If you require GEOS 3.7.0 for PostGIS 3.0, backports won't be possible
for any of the stable/LTS releases.

The geos package for Fedora and EPEL is still at 3.6.1, so no PostGIS
3.0 for those users either.

See: https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/geos &
     https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/geos

Kind Regards,