[postgis-devel] Bumping dependencies versions for PostGIS 3.0

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski me at komzpa.net
Sun Dec 2 00:49:58 PST 2018

On Sun, Dec 2, 2018 at 11:17 AM Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic at xs4all.nl>
wrote:

> On 12/1/18 7:31 PM, Regina Obe wrote:
> > GEOS 3.7.0 – do we really need to enforce this.  I've got mixed
> > feelings about this one.  I think there are quite a few packages
> > stuck on 3.6, and people using PostGIS 3.0 WAY MORE than I want
> > GEOS 3.7.0 to be a required.  We already have a warning saying –
> > that you will be missing some functionality if using 3.7.  We
> > can augment that to "Missing some enhancements and stability
> > improvements as well".  I'd like to hear what packagers think on
> > this one.  In particular I am concerned about apt.postgresql.org
> > and yum.postgresql.org
>
> Debian stretch (stable) has GEOS 3.5.1,
> testing (buster) & unstable (sid) have 3.7.0 and will get 3.7.1 once it
> it's accepted from the NEW queue after FTP master review.

Looking at https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases it may happen that buster
becomes the new stable in the coming year.

> Ubuntu trusty (LTS) has GEOS 3.4.2,
> xenial (LTS) has 3.5.0,
> bionic (LTS) & cosmic (non-LTS) have 3.6.2,
> only disco the current (non-LTS) development release has recently synced
> 3.7.0 from Debian.
>
> See: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/geos
>
> If you require GEOS 3.7.0 for PostGIS 3.0, backports won't be possible
> for any of the stable/LTS releases.

We require GEOS 3.5 for PostGIS 2.5 already. What happens with it on Trusty?

> The geos package for Fedora and EPEL is still at 3.6.1, so no PostGIS
> 3.0 for those users either.
>
> See: https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/geos &
>      https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/geos

Does it mean that GEOS 3.6 is rather safe bump, being available for bionic,
testing and EPEL?

--
Darafei Praliaskouski
Support me: http://patreon.com/komzpa