[postgis-devel] Bumping dependencies versions for PostGIS 3.0

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 2 01:18:35 PST 2018

On 12/2/18 9:49 AM, Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 2, 2018 at 11:17 AM Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic at xs4all.nl>
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/1/18 7:31 PM, Regina Obe wrote:
>>> GEOS 3.7.0 – do we really need to enforce this.  I've got mixed
>>> feelings about this one.  I think there are quite a few packages
>>> stuck on 3.6, and people using PostGIS 3.0 WAY MORE than I want
>>> GEOS 3.7.0 to be a required.  We already have a warning saying –
>>> that you will be missing some functionality if using 3.7.  We
>>> can augment that to "Missing some enhancements and stability
>>> improvements as well".  I'd like to hear what packagers think on
>>> this one.  In particular I am concerned about apt.postgresql.org
>>> and yum.postgresql.org
>>
>> Debian stretch (stable) has GEOS 3.5.1,
>> testing (buster) & unstable (sid) have 3.7.0 and will get 3.7.1 once it
>> it's accepted from the NEW queue after FTP master review.
>>

> Looking at https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases it may happen that buster
> becomes the new stable in the coming year.

Yes, and stretch remains supported for one year after that by the
security team, and another two years after that by the LTS team. PGDG
will keep support stretch for that time too.

See: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt

>> Ubuntu trusty (LTS) has GEOS 3.4.2,
>> xenial (LTS) has 3.5.0,
>> bionic (LTS) & cosmic (non-LTS) have 3.6.2,
>> only disco the current (non-LTS) development release has recently synced
>> 3.7.0 from Debian.
>>
>> See: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/geos
>>
>> If you require GEOS 3.7.0 for PostGIS 3.0, backports won't be possible
>> for any of the stable/LTS releases.
>>

> We require GEOS 3.5 for PostGIS 2.5 already. What happens with it on Trusty?

For trusty 2.4.4 is the last postgis version in the PGDG repository.

>> The geos package for Fedora and EPEL is still at 3.6.1, so no PostGIS
>> 3.0 for those users either.
>>
>> See: https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/geos &
>>      https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/geos
>
> Does it mean that GEOS 3.6 is rather safe bump, being available for bionic,
> testing and EPEL?

It prevents PostGIS 3.0 to be backported for Ubuntu xenial in the
UbuntuGIS PPA which supports all LTS releases.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1