[postgis-devel] Bumping dependencies versions for PostGIS 3.0

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Sun Dec 2 09:10:18 PST 2018

Debian stretch (stable) has GEOS 3.5.1,
testing (buster) & unstable (sid) have 3.7.0 and will get 3.7.1 once it
it's accepted from the NEW queue after FTP master review.

Looking at https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases it may happen that buster becomes the new stable in the coming year.

Ubuntu trusty (LTS) has GEOS 3.4.2,
xenial (LTS) has 3.5.0,
bionic (LTS) & cosmic (non-LTS) have 3.6.2,
only disco the current (non-LTS) development release has recently synced
3.7.0 from Debian.

See: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/geos

If you require GEOS 3.7.0 for PostGIS 3.0, backports won't be possible
for any of the stable/LTS releases.

We require GEOS 3.5 for PostGIS 2.5 already. What happens with it on Trusty?

The geos package for Fedora and EPEL is still at 3.6.1, so no PostGIS
3.0 for those users either.

See: https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/geos &
     https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/geos

Does it mean that GEOS 3.6 is rather safe bump, being available for bionic, testing and EPEL?

--

Darafei Praliaskouski

Support me: http://patreon.com/komzpa

[Regina Obe]

I recall asking this question a while back, and packagers seem to feel comfortable with a GEOS 3.6 bump even for 2.5 which surprised me cause I saw a lot of systems that would be stuck on 2.4 as a result (trusty being one as you mentioned).

Maybe Devrim – Hi Devrim, if you are listening can chime in :)

I think Devrim who manages (yum.postgresql.org) will for older packages compile his own GEOS to support the older systems, so the RHEL/Scientific Linux/Fedora might not be too much of a concern if we up to 3.7.

I think apt.postgresql.org is more stringent about getting dependencies from upstream so you are more likely to screw Ubuntu folks more than anyone else with a 3.7 requirement which is probably like 65% of the PostGIS community.

The BSDs I think are all around 3.6, and FWIW on the Bessies they are running 3.6 which is latest stable.

Windows is of NO CONCERN cause I compile GEOS and always ship the latest stable GEOS.  I think BigSQL (the other main windows distribution) does the same.

Macs I have no clue what they do – seems all over the place.

So I think 3.7 is probably a no go if you want to rely on upstream GEOS packages for bots (that would mean travis (or did we switch to our new-fangled building everything ourselves structure), (the bessies I get GEOS and PostgreSQL from pkg which is currently on GEOS 3.6, GDAL 2.2 something as I recall,  PostgreSQL 10) and FreeBSD seems to like to force everyone to upgrade their OS which is good for US (maybe scary for users)  – I was forced to on the Bessies (and they are only a year old but it wasn't too painful of an upgrade).  That said 3.6 we can swing without too much pain and may be able to swing 3.7 too in a year.

Trusty is on its last legs so not too concerned about that and it was already screwed with our 3.5 upgrade on 2.5 anyway.  Xenial I'm a little concerned about (and I think the reason we didn't bump to 3.6 in 2.5), but probably when we swing out 3.7, xenial will be on its last legs as well so of low concern.  That would still leave bionic and cosmis stuck on 3.6, which we don't want to screw.

Debian I think is much the same story as Ubuntu, but slightly better.  It's hard to tell though cause Debbie is the only Debian system I use that has PostGIS on it and she builds the core things (GEOS/GDAL/PostgreSQL) from source, and gets dependencies like SFCGAL / CGAL / Boost from SID (which is always pretty stable to me and always has the newest stuff). So anyone running sid, has no concern with a 3.7 requirement.

Thanks,

Regina