[postgis-devel] GDAL and Proj versions for PostGIS 3

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sun Dec 16 07:00:00 PST 2018

Darafei,

> Proj Master/Trunk does not build with PostGIS.

I guess you need to define the ACCEPT_USE_OF_DEPRECATED_PROJ_API_H macro so as
to be able to use proj_api.h, which will still be there in PROJ 6, but should
be completely removed in PROJ 7. Only proj.h (the new interface since PROJ 5)
will then be available ( https://proj4.org/development/index.html )

> There seems to have been a
> major rewrite there, and I vaguely remember rumors that it will be Proj
> 6.0. Can someone confirm?

Yes, PROJ 6.0 should be released February/March 2019. Indeed major evolution
of PROJ. Not a "rewrite", but significant additions. Details of the work in
progress at https://erouault.blogspot.com/
While PostGIS may be able to use the new interfaces in a almost 1-to-1 way, to
make use of the new late-binding capabilities (ie not relying on the pivot
+towgs84 for datum transformations, but possibly using more direct
transformation paths between 2 CRS when available), it will have to use the
EPSG codes with the proj_create_crs_to_crs() API when possible rather than
their expanded PROJ strings

> GDAL:
>
> I can't rebuild GDAL 1.11 on latest Debian.
> Per Even Rouault it is end of life already:
> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues/1153
>
> By commit history it looks like only GDAL 2.1+ are actively maintained.

Only the last version is maintained (that is receive commits and bugfix
releases). That is: now that GDAL 2.5dev cycle has started, there will be only
2.4.x releases.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com