[postgis-devel] Code formatting digging in

Tomas Vondra tomas.vondra at 2ndquadrant.com
Thu Feb 22 12:20:31 PST 2018

On 02/22/2018 07:50 PM, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> It doesn't seem to be installed by default by pgsql 'make install',
> so it's not necessarily an easy tool to find.

It's not installed, because it's meant as tool for developers, not for
regular users. That is, it's in src/tools/pgindent and that's it.

Another thing is that people don't use pgindent very often (except
perhaps for the large patches), but there are regular pgindent runs
before releases.

> If we're bundling something ourselves, there's no particular benefit
> to using pgindent over any other formatter.

Considering how tightly is PostGIS coupled with PostgreSQL, I think it
would make perfect sense to use the same code formatting. I can't speak
for other PostgreSQL devs, but it would certainly make it easier/more
natural for me when working with PostGIS code.

regards