[postgis-devel] PostGIS 2.5.0beta1 is released

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Mon Jul 9 10:42:03 PDT 2018

"Regina Obe" <lr at pcorp.us> writes:

> If you never have any deadlines, you will never release anything.
> We've had a whole year to be prepared.  Yes 11 is as good enough
> reason as any to be ready because when people upgrade their PostgreSQL
> nthey often want to upgrade their PostGIS as well.  So if all we have
> when 11 comes is 2.4, that's what people will end up using.

I am not averse to making the release happen, only to posting and RC and
giving it 24 hours because there is a soon deadline.

While the upgrade script stuff annoys me, it is of no real consequence.

So what stands in the way of publishing a 2.5.0rc1?  If nothing, lets do
it and give it at least a week, and call it released.  If something, I
at least am unclear on what, and posting a clear list woudl help.

>> Is there any relationship needed between the geos 3.7 release and the
>> postgis 2.5.0 release?  postgis 2.5 works with geos 3.6.2 (and really has to,
>> regardless of 3.7), and I would assume it works fine with
>> 3.7dev.   So I would hope that when 3.7 comes out and when 2.5 comes out
>> don't have to be related.  Having to release 2.5 before 11 (which I don't think
>> is really true, but people seem to think so) is bad enough.
>>
> [Regina Obe]

> GEOS 3.7.0 coming out after PostGIS 2.5.0 is not that bad, PostGIS 2.4
> already shipped features requiring 3.7

So, no, no required sequencing, which is good.

> Again the issue is we have to get GEOS 3.7 out sooner or later.  2
> years is too long to be sitting around without a release.  The longer
> we wait the harder it will be to release.

Sure, but that's about "what stands in the way of a
3.7.0{alpha1,beta1,rc1}?", not about postgis.