[postgis-devel] PostGIS 2.5.0beta1 is released

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Mon Jul 9 10:22:51 PDT 2018

[Regina Obe]

If you never have any deadlines, you will never release anything.
We've had a whole year to be prepared.  Yes 11 is as good enough reason as any to be ready because when people upgrade their PostgreSQL
they often want to upgrade their PostGIS as well.  So if all we have when 11 comes is 2.4, that's what people will end up using.

> Is there any relationship needed between the geos 3.7 release and the
> postgis 2.5.0 release?  postgis 2.5 works with geos 3.6.2 (and really has to,
> regardless of 3.7), and I would assume it works fine with
> 3.7dev.   So I would hope that when 3.7 comes out and when 2.5 comes out
> don't have to be related.  Having to release 2.5 before 11 (which I don't think
> is really true, but people seem to think so) is bad enough.

[Regina Obe]
GEOS 3.7.0 coming out after PostGIS 2.5.0 is not that bad, PostGIS 2.4 already shipped features requiring 3.7

Again the issue is we have to get GEOS 3.7 out sooner or later.  2 years is too long to be sitting around without a release.
The longer we wait the harder it will be to release.

Thanks,
Regina