[postgis-devel] PostGIS 2.5.0beta1 is released

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Mon Jul 9 10:01:24 PDT 2018

"Darafei \"Komяpa\" Praliaskouski" <me at komzpa.net> writes:

>> We plan to release GEOS 3.7 before PostGIS 2.5.0.  If no more changes or
>> issues, 3.7 could be as early as 2-3 weeks from now.
>
> PostGIS 2.5.0 we need to get out before pgsql 11 so that all 11 users who

This sort of stacked necessary releases seems to lead to rushing, which
risks issues.

Is there any relationship needed between the geos 3.7 release and the
postgis 2.5.0 release?  postgis 2.5 works with geos 3.6.2 (and really
has to, regardless of 3.7), and I would assume it works fine with
3.7dev.   So I would hope that when 3.7 comes out and when 2.5 comes out
don't have to be related.  Having to release 2.5 before 11 (which I
don't think is really true, but people seem to think so) is bad enough.