[postgis-devel] [postgis-users] Oddity in _ST_Expand(geography) ?

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski me at komzpa.net
Mon Jul 9 23:52:10 PDT 2018

вт, 10 июл. 2018 г. в 8:18, Pavan Deolasee <pavan.deolasee at gmail.com>:

> On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 6:47 PM, Pavan Deolasee <pavan.deolasee at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> While I look at the XL side more carefully and see if we can revert back
>> to PG's behaviour, I still believe this is a problem that we should fix on
>> the PostGIS side (too). AFAIK in PostgreSQL we assume that out/in functions
>> should safely convert a value to a string and back to its in-memory
>> representation. So keeping that guarantee for the "geography" data type
>> seems like the right thing to do.
>>

> Any feedback here? I am willing to write a patch if the community guides
> me in the right direction. My knowledge of PostGIS is quite limited and I
> am not sure if changing the text representation of the geography type is
> acceptable.

Text representation of geography is given from above,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well-known_text#Well-known_binary

> BTW I tried to work around this problem by patching ST_DWithin(geography,
> float) so that the overlap is checked inside the C function. While that
> fixes the problem at hand, it regresses the query planning because planner
> can no longer see those additional quals and switches from an index scan to
> a seq scan. So I'd to abandon that approach.

What you can try is to short-circuit ST_Expand to ST_Buffer for now. It's
more expensive computationally, but for most practical use cases the box it
produces should be similar to that of ST_Expand, and serialized geometry
should produce the same box on both sides of serialization.