[postgis-devel] [postgis-users] Oddity in _ST_Expand(geography) ?

Pavan Deolasee pavan.deolasee at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 02:48:17 PDT 2018

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 12:22 PM, Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski <
me at komzpa.net> wrote:

> What you can try is to short-circuit ST_Expand to ST_Buffer for now. It's
> more expensive computationally, but for most practical use cases the box it
> produces should be similar to that of ST_Expand, and serialized geometry
> should produce the same box on both sides of serialization.

Thanks for the tip. That seems to do the trick. Apart from the performance
impact, can this cause any regression? FWIW PostGIS regression tests does
not show any new failure, but anything specific I should test? With regard
to performance impact, could it be material? And if so, in what
circumstances?

Thanks,
Pavan

--