[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Stop installing liblwgeom INCLUDES in system

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Nov 28 09:15:54 PST 2018

"Regina Obe" <lr at pcorp.us> writes:

> I'd LOVE to backport not installing liblwgeom include.  The library we
> probably have to wait to 3.0 since some people have standardized on
> dynamically linking it.

(non-PSC of course) I don't care which way this goes.

> I'd love make it all statically linked in 3.0 for both commandline and
> the extension lib files so each file doesn't drag in more dependencies
> than it needs to.

If it's used semantically like a library -- which it really seems to be
-- you should allow dynamic linking within the build.  You are kludging
around lack of a design for managing multiple versions, and adding more
maintenance headaches.  So -1 from me, which I realize doesn't really
count.

Or perhaps for 3.0 drop it and use rtopo.  Which will then be external
and dynamic.