[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Stop installing liblwgeom INCLUDES in system

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Wed Nov 28 09:31:10 PST 2018

> If it's used semantically like a library -- which it really seems to be
> -- you should allow dynamic linking within the build.  You are kludging
around
> lack of a design for managing multiple versions, and adding more
> maintenance headaches.  So -1 from me, which I realize doesn't really
count.

[Regina Obe]
Not sure what you mean by used like a library.
The original reason why we had it segmented was because it was easier to
test that way via CUNIT.
Then later this segmentation proved a little useful when we introduced
raster.

To me it's more a header only library that can be detached from Postgres for
ease of testing.

To me it's just a pile of shared code across the different extensions
postgis/ postgis sfcgal / postgis raster / postgis topology

And in fact like I said each piece only uses bits of it -- thus it's a pile
of code.

postgis will not need it bound to sfcgal, but will need it bound to GEOS
SFCGAL needs a variant that includes SFCGAL hooks
postgis topology needs it only bound to GEOS
postgis raster doesn't need the GEOS part at all.

> Or perhaps for 3.0 drop it and use rtopo.  Which will then be external and
> dynamic.
[Regina Obe]
That is not an option.  Rtopo is designed to work in cases that postgis
doesn't care for or need like threading support.
PostGIS has extra baggage it needs in its liblwgeom that would bog down
rtopo.