[postgis-devel] Error creating postgis extension

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Thu Oct 25 22:29:03 PDT 2018

Proj 4.9.3 is definitely fine. I packaged the windows 2.5.0 builds with 4.9.3 proj and have had no issues.

>From what I have observed, I can swap out the proj 4.8 with the 4.9 and not have issue.  The other way around won't work if you compiled PostGIS with the newer proj.

I would guess what Darafei is saying is the issue and it's using the system one or the one you compiled GDAL with and perhaps your GDAL is compiled against proj 4.8 or lower or that is what is installed in the system.

It's normally fine to do that (use a lower version of proj than what you compiled PostGIS with except for 4.9 up because proj is undergoing major enhancements.  The 5+ stuff I don't think we are using yet, but probably will in PostGIS 3.

We do have conditional logic for proj < 4.9, proj >= 4.9 since 4.9 introduced some geographicLib api stuff that gave better answers for geography area and other measurements than what our internal postgis functions provided. When PostGIS is compiled against 4.9 or above, it switches to using the proj 4.9+ api instead of our internal less accurate one.  so if it can't find those newer functions in your proj library, you'll get that error below if you compiled with the >= 4.9 version.