[postgis-devel] NEWS file cleanup ?

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski me at komzpa.net
Fri Sep 14 04:24:18 PDT 2018

I think current process of writing a NEWS entry on every ticket is good.

It helps a lot when investingating environment differences: you see a bug
on some, say, RDS database, and can't reproduce it locally. You then take
your latest version and read NEWS top-to-bottom until you see a line
mentioning your issue, which has a link to ticket. It sometimes has
workarounds there :)

Doing it by commit messages is much less fun, as they often don't mention
high-level manifestation of bug (like "crash in ANALYZE"), but a way of
fixing ("Handle almost-infinite features when building table statistics").
Or, sometimes, it can be dozens of commits until a fix is found.

Some pre-release rearrangement of NEWS, like sorting most-to-least
interesting, grouping similar issues, merging alpha-beta-rc and combining
issues that were added and fixed in between is a good plan though.

пт, 14 сент. 2018 г. в 14:02, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com>:

> "Regina Obe" <lr at pcorp.us> writes:
>
> > Strk,
> >
> > I was planning to get rid of all that bug stuff on final release
> > notes.  I feel noting those changes (even bugs) in RCs is important
> > otherwise how will people know what to test?
>
> I stand with strk here :-)
>
> People testing RCs have read the email message announcing the RC, so it
> can be there instead.
>
> Also, in the longstandin GNU tradition (which is where NEWS came from)
> bug fixes do not generally belong in NEWS, unless the bug is notorious.
> It's supposed to be about significant changes, like removed and new
> APIs, new user programs, new dependency/compiler requirements, and
> things those using the program need to adapt to.

Darafei Praliaskouski
Support me: http://patreon.com/komzpa