[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Drop the minor in the postgis lib files

'Sandro Santilli' strk at kbt.io
Thu Sep 27 06:52:42 PDT 2018

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 09:35:46AM -0400, Regina Obe wrote:

> The create extension step would fail since we always add new functions to new releases (if it were testing against the older version).
> Only case it would pass is if we are testing 3.0  and we are on 3.1

So you're saying that installing an _old_ postgis (say: 3.0)
would break existing 3.1 database, is that right ? And we're
opening up this risk (currently NOT existing) to make it
possible to upgrade PostGIS _during_ a PostgreSQL upgrade
done using pg_upgrade, is this correct ?

In other words, we currently have NO problem with pg_upgrade
as long as the _same_ PostGIS Major.Minor version installed
in the current cluster is available for the target cluster
version (ie: a packaging issue, to me)

Just to have a clear description of why we're moving in that
direction, and be informed enough when taking a decision.