[postgis-devel] Geos 3.7.0 / autoconf question

John Harvey john.harvey at crunchydata.com
Thu Sep 27 08:09:56 PDT 2018

Howdy folks,

I noticed that geos 3.7.0 came out earlier this month, which is exciting.
I tried building it on CentOS 6 recently, but I noticed that my build
failed due to requiring autoconf 2.64.  Unfortunately, on CentOS, the
latest available packaged version of autoconf is 2.63.

I was able to work around the build failure by modifying
macros/ax_check_compile_flag.m4 to do a hard-check for 2.63 instead.  With
that done, I was actually able to get the build to go through using
devtoolset-3-gcc in my toolchain, since it satisfies the requirement to use
a compiler with support for C++11 language features.

I was a little surprised that it worked, so I wanted to ask if anyone knew
if the autoconf dependency is a hard dependency for 2.64, or if it would be
reasonably okay to build with autoconf 2.63.

Thanks!
  -John Harvey