[postgis-devel] FW: [postgis-users] ST_AsMVT Centos 7 Missing libprotobuf-c

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Sat Jan 5 09:20:17 PST 2019

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2018-01-09 at 22:25 -0500, Regina Obe wrote:
> > If you are listening I think this one may be for you.
>
> [1 year later...]
>
> If I add protobuf-c to the *existing* packages, does it break *existing*
> applications?
>
> Regards,
> --
> Devrim G nd z
> EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com PostgreSQL Consultant, Red
> Hat Certified Engineer
> Twitter: @DevrimGunduz , @DevrimGunduzTR
[Regina Obe]

Not quite sure how to answer as I don't know what breaking means?  I would assume NO.

The protobuf-c SQL functions are always built whether you are building with protobuf-c or not.

However if you build without protobuf-c, then the SQL functions will throw an error something to effect
Need to compile with Protobuf-c.

If you then recompile with protobuf-c, those functions as I recall would then just start working without the user doing anything, similar to the way the from GeoJSON functions work.

So only situation I can think where things would break is if you build with protobuf, and then you took protobuf away, BUT didn't rebuild the postgis .sos.  Even then as long as the new postgis.so's are installed, it would just start throwing errrors in SQL use.