[postgis-devel] Introducing wagyu to validate MVT polygons

Raúl Marín Rodríguez rmrodriguez at carto.com
Mon Jan 14 02:39:03 PST 2019

Hi,

Since the PR has grown quite a bit and includes several fixes to the current
implementation and new tests, I'm going to start pushing all the things that
aren't directly related to wagyu (and backporting when necessary) to cleanup
the PR as much as possible.

If anyone is interested in this change you can see the performance difference
in [1]. Depending on the size of the polygon after the simplification process
it can be up to 27x faster. After some improvements, I don't see any case
where wagyu is slower and the only caveat is that it might drop very small
polygons.

Also since I've only tested this in Linux, other OS might require some extra
tweaking of the build scripts, so if you'd like to help please try to build
and run it (passing the `--with-wagyu` flag to configure)

[1] - https://github.com/postgis/postgis/files/2754774/20190111_geos_vs_20190111_wagyu.pdf

Regards

--
Raúl Marín Rodríguez