[postgis-devel] statically linked liblwgeom, why ?

Raúl Marín Rodríguez rmrodriguez at carto.com
Thu Jan 24 11:45:54 PST 2019

Hi,

> Now this will mean including a copy of liblwgeom+geos+proj+what else?

No. Linking liblwgeom statically doesn't require linking everything
statically (which is nice since I don't have static libraries as part of my
system libraries). In fact, it means that if those binaries don't call
anything that uses Geos or Proj or what else they won't have to depend on
them and you can install them by themselves. For example:

 $ ldd /usr/bin/shp2pgsql
         linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007ffde4f33000)
         libc.so.6 => /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (0x00007f0ec9943000)
         libm.so.6 => /usr/lib/libm.so.6 (0x00007f0ec97be000)
         /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 => /usr/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
 (0x00007f0ec9b24000)

> What's the rationale for such change ?

Well, the very moment we dedided to stop installing liblwgeom headers and
the library itself, linking everything statically was the only way to go.

> Did I miss an RFC and a vote ?

I'm curious (keep in mind that I a haven't been here for that long), do we
require a vote from the steering comitee for such change?
A similar change was done way back (1.4!) when postgis.so started linking
it statically. Why would making all binaries/objects follow the same rule
require a vote (unless someone calls for it)?

Regards.

--

*Raúl Marín Rodríguez *carto.com