[postgis-devel] Bump GDAL and Proj versions for PostGIS 3

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sun Jul 7 17:39:11 PDT 2019

"Darafei \"Komяpa\" Praliaskouski" <me at komzpa.net> writes:

viewpoint from packaging in pkgsrc:

> I propose:
>
>  - bump minimum GDAL to 2.0, stripping off the last ifdef for it and
> jumping to version released in 2015 and not a decade ago.

Wow.  2.0 is really really old.  I would be very surprised by systems
with gdal < 2, and even more surprised if they simultaneously wanted
postgis 3.  (<rant>LTS or up-to-date, pick one; don't ask for both at
once.</rant>)

>  - bump minimum Proj version to 5, as recommended by EvenR on IRC, so that
> we can use the new proj projections definitions without fear it's not
> understood by installed proj. That will also strip a bunch of ifdefs on
> geodetics.

I think that's ok too, as the ugprade from proj 4.9 to 5 did not result
in having to remove that many packages.

> We can get rid of even more variability if we require Proj6.

Yes, but proj6 is very new, and the upgrade from 5 to 6 is still in
process in some systems (and one can't rightly call them out about it).
I'd say this is much too aggresssive, for now.  Perhaps revisit in 2021
or later.