[postgis-devel] cannot postgis_extensions_upgrade() due to some sfcgal issue

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Wed Mar 6 06:49:05 PST 2019

On Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 03:35:48PM +0100, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> 	# select postgis_extensions_upgrade();
> 	WARNING:  'postgis.gdal_datapath' is already set and cannot be changed until you reconnect
> 	WARNING:  'postgis.gdal_enabled_drivers' is already set and cannot be changed until you reconnect
> 	WARNING:  'postgis.enable_outdb_rasters' is already set and cannot be changed until you reconnect
> 	ERROR:  cannot drop function st_generatepoints(geometry,numeric) because extension postgis requires it
> 	HINT:  You can drop extension postgis instead.
> 	CONTEXT:  SQL statement "CREATE EXTENSION postgis_sfcgal FROM unpackaged"
> 	PL/pgSQL function postgis_extensions_upgrade() line 48 at EXECUTE
>
> Known issue ?

I found that moving ST_GeneratePoints from
postgis_drop_after.sql to postgis_drop_before.sql
fixes the upgrade for me.

Not sure why that is the case, because I do see this line
in the postgis--ANY--3.0.0dev.sql file:

  SELECT postgis_extension_drop_if_exists('postgis', 'DROP FUNCTION IF EXISTS ST_GeneratePoints(geometry, numeric)');

What's the rationale to drop it _after_ ?

Also, why would postgis_sfcgal deal with ST_GeneratePoints at all ?

--strk