[postgis-devel] Enabling wagyu by default

Raúl Marín Rodríguez rmrodriguez at carto.com
Wed May 29 09:36:06 PDT 2019

>>Please don't. Mapbox is terrible at maintaining their projects, I don't
>>see wagyu having a bright future.
>
>MapBox accepts patches. I have submitted lots of PRs to OSRM and Valhalla and never
>hit any die-hard hardshell.

Same experience here with Mapnik, node-mapnik and wagyu. It's true
that they aren't
super fast, but neither am we, so I can't really complain.

Also, as Komzpa mentioned the library code is under the postgis tree
and it's setup to
compile and link it statically inside postgis-3.so, so I expect/hope
for it to be
transparent to packagers.

> Could you refresh my memory about what does it mean to be a "backend"
for MVT geometries generation ? The doc page doesn't say much about
it: https://postgis.net/docs/ST_AsMVT.html

It's used on ST_AsMVTGeom to transform polygons to the MVT "projection", that is
substituting GEOS to do the clipping and validation. Lines and points
are still routed
to GEOS (just clipping).

> BTW, do you happen to have a list of known softwares using the
ST_AsMVT function to generate tiles ? It could be nice to have
similar lists on PostGIS wiki

Apart from CARTO's Windshaft, I've only head of
https://github.com/urbica/martin.

Regards,
--
Raúl Marín Rodríguez