[postgis-devel] ST_IsValid/ST_IsSimple ISO compatibility

James A. Gill jamesagill at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 12:26:40 PST 2019

Hi all.

I'm the maintainer for Presto <https://prestodb.io/>'s geospatial functions
<https://prestodb.github.io/docs/current/functions/geospatial.html>. I've
chatted with Darafei before (congrats, Darafei!), but for the rest you:
hello!

Something I would like is to make, as much as possible, Presto's functions
compatible with PostGIS.  That would allow people to run the same or
similar queries in the OLTP realm as well as the warehouse/analytics
realm.  Presto is also very keen on adhering to the ISO SQL standards in
general, and in particular the SQL3 geospatial standard.  Sometimes,
however, these are in conflict!  See:

1. https://github.com/locationtech/jts/issues/486 and
2. https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/3425

I'd like to open up a conversation about making JTS and GEOS compliant with
ISO, which would make PostGIS more compliant.  In particular, I'd love to
have a standardized test suite (language agnostic) for the spec, starting
with ST_IsValid and ST_IsSimple.  This spec could then be implemented in
JTS and GEOS (and any other library, like JSTS or Esri or...).  However,
this will cause at least one backwards-incompatible change (listed above),
and there may be more.  This is always sensitive, but particularly with
databases.  So I'd really value your collective input as to whether this is
a bad idea, or a good idea that's impractical, or a good idea that can be
done with work and diligence.

Thoughts?