[postgis-devel] Rework extension upgrade paths to reduce proliferation

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Fri Oct 4 13:23:50 PDT 2019

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 08:35:07PM +0200, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 01:26:50PM -0400, Regina Obe wrote:
>
> > That works assuming we still have the 3.0.0alpha5 scripts lying around.
> > But if the user (or package maintener) uninstalls 3.0.0alpha5 then how
> > does this work?
> > There seems to be no path to get to alpha6 now.
>
> Uhm, you are right, there's a problem with that.
> So we'd still need to name all previous versions in our new installs :(

So, I came up with another solution, but would only work for
upgrading via postgis_extensions_upgrade(): the function would
modify the pg_extension record for each postgis extension to
upgrade so that they look like being of version "ANY" and then
rely on the presence of already existing ANY--<current> upgrade
script to do the upgrade.

This is in testing here: https://dronie.osgeo.org/postgis/postgis/668