[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Move from svn to Git (and by git I mean Gitea)

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Tue Oct 22 07:05:40 PDT 2019

Raul and Sandro,

Thanks for the great feedback.  My heart sank when I heard everyone say "Git is pointless without Github"

Dan,

Our gitea is a bit out of date -- one of the new features they added since we updated is this:

Pull request review/approval and comment on code
https://github.com/go-gitea/gitea/pull/3748

I have on my task list to update our gitea instance https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2371
 (and have tested installing  it on the replica tracsvn container)
https://dev.git.osgeo.org/gitea/  (it's about a month old) -- give it a try to see if you have the same feelings.

 to the latest version so perhaps that will help some of your pain points.

Komzpa,

What you want to move to github so you skip putting in tickets and click Pull easily -- man you are the encarnation of my fear.
And you want to put our issues on github so you can HAVE MORE ISSUES.  ARE YOU NUTS?
But seriously don't think I'm thoughtless in dismissing your pain.  I'd just rather have more like a federated pull system that allows pull requests to be accepted from anywhere and merged.  That vision disappears when everyone is on GitHub as what's the point.  I don't think that feature is too far off and other projects like gitlab and bitbucket want that too.

I know this sounds crazy coming from a user on Windows -- but don't let a plate of food destroy your ability to see what is possible.
That is why I joined PostGIS and use PostgreSQL because I saw what they could be rather than what they were.

Thanks,
Regina