[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Move from svn to Git (and by git I mean Gitea)

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Wed Oct 23 02:34:49 PDT 2019

> On Oct 23, 2019, at 1:19 AM, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 05:22:44PM +0200, Björn Harrtell wrote:
>
>> from the point of view of an inactive committer I would greatly
>> appreciate a fully featured PR/CI/review UX and I can see it lowering the
>> barrier for contributions in general.
>
> I also appreciate PR handling software, and that's why I went looking
> for a free software project implementing them, 3 years ago:
>
>  https://blog.gitea.io/2016/12/welcome-to-gitea/
>
> We already have 3 such PR/CI/review UX to choose from, and we won't
> loose any of them, with the SVN->GIT switch:
>
>  - Gitea @ OSGeo [ SELF-HOSTED, won't go away ]
>    login with OSGeo UserID
>    https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/postgis/postgis/
>
>  - GitLab mirror [ @ .com ]
>    login with gitlab.com or GitHub credentials
>
>  - GitHub mirror [ @ .com ]
>    login with GitHub credentials

This is describing an operationally bad thing as a good thing. Anyone trying to review development activity or find code to review has to check three places (actually four, since they should check the trac issue report too). I’ve been quite unhappy with this setup in GEOS land, and I hadn’t even realized I was ignoring a whole third point of development (gitlab) in my usual trolling for activity.

I honestly don’t know what to say, I find the whole situation quite flumoxing.

P.