[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Move from svn to Git (and by git I mean Gitea)

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Wed Oct 23 08:45:51 PDT 2019

>> My point is if the reason to move to Github is so you can click the trigger on the pull request to accept -- and you're drowsy and half asleep, I don't want that.

> I've worked directly in Github for years and I've never seen that happen. But even it if did, having changes that pass CI merged while half asleep are safer than pushing changes without testing while half asleep.

But CI changes happen anyway with pull requests so they are tested to some extent without merging and we will beef up our testing on pull requests.

>>I want YOU as a committer to work a bit harder.  Putting the extra road block of take a diff etc and commit to your repo and push I feel will give you time to digest.

> That translates to me as I don't trust committers or I don't value their time; and both are terribly bad.
> I have finite time to work in Postgis, so I'd rather be doing something useful than generating a diff (sometimes 5 diffs) and committing to a repo.

> Ra l Mar n Rodr guez
> carto.com

Raul sorry didn't mean to insult developers.  I think everybody gets lazy cause like you said you don't have that much time to work on PostGIS.  Why don't you just commit directly to PostGIS repo.

I'm sure we can work something out so we can have some sort of federated pull system.

I'd rather have people not forced to use Github to put in a pull request or submit a patch.  I personally don't use Github that much.  I work in my local repo most of the time except when I have to interface with some Github system.

I know you all believe that everyone lives on Github.  From my personal experience they don't and I'm also insulted by this whole belief structure that

"If you don't live on Github you are not relevant."

Which is what I hear from all of you.

I just don't want to be part of that what I consider "elitest culture".

Thanks,
Regina