[postgis-devel] Remove Comments.sql

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Thu Dec 17 04:06:04 PST 2020

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 03:24:32PM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> >> ERROR:  function st_makepoint(double precision, double precision) does not exist
>
> What do you suppose I spent all my time looking at? the docs? no, looking for why this function that I removed is being complained about...

Yes, now I recall it also happened to me.
I'd try to think about ways to make it less painful to understand,
on "make check". Does `make check` currently shows the problem is
coming from comments.sql ? Because I'm afraid CREATE EXTENSION won't
tell much about such errors.

> Also, I want to normalize the idea that our docs won't feed into our
> extension when we change the doco format.

I still think having a way to verify the docs match the implementation
is of great help. Current format allows us to do that, both via
comments.sql generation and garden test. I think a new format should
give us the same features.