[postgis-devel] About EXTENSION from UNPACKAGED on PostgreSQL 13

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Wed Feb 26 07:52:24 PST 2020

OK, well, what PostGIS needs is the ability for 'ALTER EXTENSION …. UPDATE foo’ to end up with two extensions in the end, ‘foo’ and ‘foo_new’. That’s what’s happening in the 2.x -> 3 upgrade process, as ‘postgis’ becomes ‘postgis’ and ‘postgis_raster’.

Presumably 15 years out from the 1.x -> 2.x we can stop worrying about bundling unpackaged postgis into an extension, and just recommend a hard upgrade dump/restore to the hardy souls still running 1.x.

P.