[postgis-devel] postgis_comments.sql

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Mon Mar 2 15:00:34 PST 2020

Added users to cc list to get more input.

I have mixed feeling about this.  I see the value of not including it in extensions but would like to keep the make target.

1)      If you build from tar ball it’s already included built so you don’t need docbook to build extensions from tar ball.  But I guess if you build from git you do need dockbook. Given the craziness of our dependencies and the fact that most people don’t build their own PostGIS – the pain seems pretty minimal.

2)      Building the comments has on occasion prevented us from documenting things that aren’t so.  For example if you said in the docs the function signature is

Foo(geometry, integer)

And it was defined in the code as foo(geometry, integer[])

Then the build would error out because the code doesn’t agree with the docs  – which I think is a nice feature.

But that is the only really nice to have I can think of.  I suppose we could achieve the same by keeping the make target, but just don’t include it in extensions

and have it as part of the ci steps to install the comments to confirm they install.