[postgis-devel] Precision Reduction?

Martin Davis mtnclimb at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 08:26:58 PST 2020

I am neutral about encoding precision in the data or in the schema.  As
Darafei points out it raises a raft of tricky questions about what should
be made precise, the semantics of spatial predicates, and what to do about
mixed precision. It's a far bigger change than what Paul is asking about,
since it requires many operations to be enhanced to support precise output.

Providing ST_PrecisionReduce may or may not be a small step in that
direction.  But it lets users and the development team get some experience
with how and when to enforce precision.