[postgis-devel] ST_AsFlatGeobuf / ST_FromFlatGeobuf ?

rmrodriguez at carto.com rmrodriguez at carto.com
Tue Sep 22 01:44:59 PDT 2020

Hi Bjorn, nice to see you around.

I think having extra formats in Postgis is great as long as they are
maintained (because they are used). For example, MVT turned out to be
a great addition with lots of users.

Is flatgeobuf an alternative to shapefile, to MVT, or both? Do you
expect people to use it to extract full datasets or only parts of it
at a time?

One thing I'm not sure about is `ST_FromFlatGeobuf`. I would expect
that to return a table/tuple, but AFAIK there is no way to change the
output format of a function based on the input, so I think I would
expect something like a fgb2pgsql cli and not a SQL function.

Regards,
--
Raúl Marín Rodríguez
carto.com