[postgis-devel] ST_AsFlatGeobuf / ST_FromFlatGeobuf ?

Björn Harrtell bjorn.harrtell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 15:42:18 PDT 2020

Hey all,

I've been cooking up my own binary serialization format for simple
features. It's called flatgeobuf and lives at
https://github.com/bjornharrtell/flatgeobuf. I've even dived so far into
GDAL that it's fully supported there as of version 3.1 and if that was
possible I guess anything is.

I'm getting serious thoughts of "hey I should be able to import/export this
into PostGIS with i.e ST_AsFlatGeobuf and ST_FromFlatGeobuf". I will
probably also suggest a way to produce/consume only the header and single
feature buffers too but more on that later perhaps.

What do you think? Should I get to work? Or should I just use pgsql-ogr-fdw
and try to be happy but knowing that it could never be as snappy as the
more direct approach?

PS. I've also had thoughts of COPY getting flatgeobuf as an alternative
binary representation but I'm afraid it's hybris.

Regards,

/Björn