[postgis-devel] protobuf version?

rmrodriguez at carto.com rmrodriguez at carto.com
Tue Sep 22 03:19:00 PDT 2020

Hi,

> Are we wedded to using the new feature (which seems like just a safety feature, and our code should be sufficiently disciplied to follow the oneof rule without having to specify it in the proto file).

It is not a safety feature, but a performance one. Using oneof
generates a union of the values instead of a struct with one member
for each possible type.

As we discussed in the commit, there is an option to simplify the
dependency on libprotobuf-c by including the generated .c|.h files and
the library itself under deps/; that way it is fully under our control
and we can remove the multiple issues with different distributions
using different (old) protobuf-c releases. Not only that, we ensure
all builds will always support both MVT and geobuf support (no more
"Missing libprotobuf-c").

I've created a PR with the integration in
https://github.com/postgis/postgis/pull/579. Sounds good?

--
Raúl Marín Rodríguez
carto.com