[postgis-devel] things appropriate to discuss on list, dangers of github culture

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Sep 29 04:02:23 PDT 2020

It seems that with github, there's a fair bit of things happening that
people reading the devel list but not watching the repo are not aware
of.

I'd like to suggest that the following sorts of changes require on-list
discussion (which can be "hey, there's a PR that does X, for reason Y,
what do you think?"):

  bumping minimum versions of dependencies

  bumping compiler requirements or language standards

  adding dependencies

  structural changes affecting packaging

  including copies of dependnecies

  anything else that would raise packaging eyebrows

I suspect many such changes are in fact totally uncontroversial, like
dropping old pgsql versions, and requiring dependency versions that have
been out for multiple years.

I realize that the view from inside a project is often view from the
cross-project packaging view.  I hope this helps explain where I'm
coming from.