[postgis-devel] things appropriate to discuss on list, dangers of github culture

rmrodriguez at carto.com rmrodriguez at carto.com
Tue Sep 29 05:26:06 PDT 2020

I guess this comes from the protobuf-c PR. It comes from an earlier
discussion in the maillist
(https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-devel/2020-September/028609.html).
I brought it up again in another thread because nobody said anything
about it and I was expecting it to be controversial, so I didn't want
to simply push it.

In any case, I don't think there has been much discussion in Github at
any moment (maybe some specific PR long time ago). It's mostly this
maillist and occasionally the IRC channel.

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 1:02 PM Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:

> It seems that with github, there's a fair bit of things happening that
> people reading the devel list but not watching the repo are not aware
> of.
>
> I'd like to suggest that the following sorts of changes require on-list
> discussion (which can be "hey, there's a PR that does X, for reason Y,
> what do you think?"):
>
>   bumping minimum versions of dependencies
>
>   bumping compiler requirements or language standards
>
>   adding dependencies
>
>   structural changes affecting packaging
>
>   including copies of dependnecies
>
>   anything else that would raise packaging eyebrows
>

> I suspect many such changes are in fact totally uncontroversial, like
> dropping old pgsql versions, and requiring dependency versions that have
> been out for multiple years.
>
> I realize that the view from inside a project is often view from the
> cross-project packaging view.  I hope this helps explain where I'm
> coming from.

Raúl Marín Rodríguez
carto.com