[postgis-devel] Questions about POSTGIS_DEBUG

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Mon Jun 14 14:58:48 PDT 2021

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 09:41:21PM +0800, Han Wang wrote:
> Hi Giuseppe,
>
> Please forgive me if I was unclear.
>
> I call `POSTGIS_DEBUG` in some functions to debug but when I run .sql test
> script in /regress folder, I did not see any output related to the debug
> information. Besides, I have already set the `*POSTGIS_DEBUG_LEVEL*` to *1*.

1) Did you add this to your sql :

   set client_min_messages to DEBUG;

2) How did you set POSTGIS_DEBUG_LEVEL ?

   The build scripts are not very robust so you you're doing
   this globally you may need to do a clean build.

I saw there's a postgis/DEBUG file which mentions the need for
a rebuild, if you find anything useful which is missing there
feel free to add it.

What I often do rather than setting the debug macro globally
is I redefined that in the .c file, making sure to do so
after postgis_config.h is included and before lwgeom_log.h
is included. You will find a commented-out such definition
in some files, for example in topology/postgis_topology.c