[postgis-devel] About GSoC project (gist indexes)

FATIHI Ayoub ayoubfatihi1999 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 02:49:13 PDT 2021

Hello community,
I hope you are doing well in these hard times.

I want to work on 'Augment PostGIS 3.2 with GIST support added to
PG14' idea within the GSoC 2021.

I. Me:

I am Ayoub FATIHI, I am moroccan ,I was born in 1999.
I am a student at the Geomatics and Surveying Engineering Department in IAV
Hassan ii University,Rabat, Morocco.

I am interested in : Mathematics, especially algebra, algorithms, and
recently (3 years ago) computer science. And I feel true joy when I
solve problems.

I have got a chance to study Spatial databases using psql and extending it
by postgis to unlock the spatial capabilities.

II. Motivation:

I have always been like a phoenix, after hard times I rise from ashes to
close another cycle. But in the middle of this pandemic, I started to
metamorphose to a hydra, but more interestingly to a tree. Yes, like a
tree, even after the darkest moment, after rains without stop and strong
winds that break some of its branches, IT blossoms and gives fruits. I have
witnessed this cycle from my bedroom's window for one year,I am trying to
mimic this cycle and apply it to my everyday life, and to learn new things
to unlock my full potential, and produce some very sweet fruits.
One way of accomplishing that is to join communities, especially those of
open sources. First I was thinking about Python because I am familiar with
it, but while searching I found out about GSoC and I dug deeper and then I
found about this project. And here I am! Hyper-motivated, I am ready to
take this challenge.

III. Experience in coding:

+++Scientific computation with Matlab (is it really coding?)

+++Python  (plus other libraries: numpy, pandas, matplotlib, scikit-learn)

++  Visual Basic

IV. Investment:

I have a fertile mind and I am ready to sow it.

>From now to finals (scheduled end June) I will allocate for this project
and getting ready for it between 10 and 12 hours a week. Then after the
finals from  20 to 36 hours a week.

I am planning to grasp some notions of computer science that will help
learn C easily, then I will learn C.

In a second phase I will dig deeper in the implementation of postgis with
postgresql, and how they work behind the scenes. ( I hope I will be here
before mid may, is it doable?)

In a third phase I am willing to tackle the problem in hand(optimizing the
creation of gist index for spatial data).
And Hooray !

This is going long. I will stop here, please feel free to ask me if you
have questions.
*AM I UP TO TAKE THIS CHALLENGE ?*
--
FATIHI Ayoub