[postgis-devel] About GSoC project (gist indexes)

Giuseppe Broccolo g.broccolo.7 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 05:16:34 PDT 2021

Hi Fatihi,

Il giorno lun 29 mar 2021 alle ore 10:49 FATIHI Ayoub <
ayoubfatihi1999 at gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Hello community,
> I hope you are doing well in these hard times.
>
> I want to work on 'Augment PostGIS 3.2 with GIST support added to PG14' idea within the GSoC 2021.
>
> Cool!

> I. Me:
>
> I am Ayoub FATIHI, I am moroccan ,I was born in 1999.
> I am a student at the Geomatics and Surveying Engineering Department in
> IAV Hassan ii University,Rabat, Morocco.
>
> I am interested in : Mathematics, especially algebra, algorithms, and
> recently (3 years ago) computer science. And I feel true joy when I
> solve problems.
>
> I have got a chance to study Spatial databases using psql and extending it
> by postgis to unlock the spatial capabilities.
>

> II. Motivation:
>
> I have always been like a phoenix, after hard times I rise from ashes to
> close another cycle. But in the middle of this pandemic, I started to
> metamorphose to a hydra, but more interestingly to a tree. Yes, like a
> tree, even after the darkest moment, after rains without stop and strong
> winds that break some of its branches, IT blossoms and gives fruits. I have
> witnessed this cycle from my bedroom's window for one year,I am trying to
> mimic this cycle and apply it to my everyday life, and to learn new things
> to unlock my full potential, and produce some very sweet fruits.
> One way of accomplishing that is to join communities, especially those of
> open sources. First I was thinking about Python because I am familiar with
> it, but while searching I found out about GSoC and I dug deeper and then I
> found about this project. And here I am! Hyper-motivated, I am ready to
> take this challenge.
>
> III. Experience in coding:
>
> +++Scientific computation with Matlab (is it really coding?)
>
> +++Python  (plus other libraries: numpy, pandas, matplotlib, scikit-learn)
>
> ++  Visual Basic
>
> IV. Investment:
>
> I have a fertile mind and I am ready to sow it.
>
> From now to finals (scheduled end June) I will allocate for this project
> and getting ready for it between 10 and 12 hours a week. Then after the
> finals from  20 to 36 hours a week.
>
> I am planning to grasp some notions of computer science that will help
> learn C easily, then I will learn C.
>
> In a second phase I will dig deeper in the implementation of postgis with
> postgresql, and how they work behind the scenes. ( I hope I will be here
> before mid may, is it doable?)
>
> In a third phase I am willing to tackle the problem in hand(optimizing the
> creation of gist index for spatial data).
> And Hooray !
>
> This is going long. I will stop here, please feel free to ask me if you
> have questions.
> *AM I UP TO TAKE THIS CHALLENGE ?*

You should try to solve before a test, you can find it in the wiki page
related to the project
<https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/GoogleSummerCode2021>. It mainly is:

   1. git clone PostGIS code from one of Git repos
   <https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/CodeMirrors>
   2. git clone code from PostgreSQL git repo (master branch) -
   3. Compile both and install PostGIS 3.2 (master branch) extension into
   PostgreSQL 14 dev database
   4. Setup a public fork of PostGIS repo for your work

You should provide a script which includes the command you used to set up
the dev database, and a link to the public fork you created, with the git
commands
you used to be properly rebased on the official mirror.

Also, you have officially to apply through the GSoC website - this email is
not enough. You have to submit a PDF document with the following paragraph
filled:

1. Contact Details

2. Title

3. Brief Project Description

4. State of the Project Before GSoC

5. Benefits to Community

6. Deliverables

7. Timeline
     - Community Bonding Period (May 17, 2021 - June 7, 2021) : provide
info about your plan to get ready to
       work on the topic.
     - First coding phase (June 7 - July 11) : Detailed roadmap of the work
on a weekly base (ex. week June 7 - June 11
       I'll define this function for this purpose). There's a first
evaluation at the end of this phase of the partial work.
     - Second phase (July 12 - August 15) : there's a final evaluation. We
expect you will be able to provide the support
       functions to improve GiST build for at least 2D geoms, with working
regression tests. In any case, something that can
       be merged on a temporary development branch in a repo which I can
use to finalise the PR to the main one.

8. Do you understand this is a serious commitment, equivalent to a
full-time paid summer internship or summer job?

9. Do you have any known time conflicts during the official coding period?

10. Studies:
    - What is your school and degree?
    - Would your application contribute to your ongoing studies/degree? If
so, how?

11. Programming and GIS
    - Computing Experience (if any)
    - GIS programming and other software programming (if any)
    - Briefly mention and link to former open-source contributions (if any)

12. GSoC Participation
    - Have you participated in GSoC before?
    - Have you applied but were not selected? When?
    - Have you submitted/will you submit another proposal for this year's
GSoC to a different org? Which one?

13. Requirements: did you cover them?
    - git clone PostGIS code from one of Git repos
    - git clone code from PostgreSQL git repo (master branch)
    - Compile both and install PostGIS 3.2 (master branch) extension into
PostgreSQL 14 (master branch) dev database
    - Setup a public fork of PostGIS repo for your work (properly rebased
on the official one)

14. Bit more details about the theory behind your implementation

15. References linked to the previous point 14.

16. Attach your resume

This has to be done by *April 13th*. It would be good to have a preliminary
call in order to present the project so you can fill it in the propest way.

The two mentors for this project are me and Regina Obe.

Regards,
Giuseppe.