[postgis-devel] WKT Output Change

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Mon Apr 11 08:59:52 PDT 2022

https://github.com/postgis/postgis/pull/682/

Just a point of discussion, this PR to change the default MULTIPOINT output.
- Pro: it's correct, the ISO spec mandates extra parens, so MULTIPOINT((1 1), (2 2), (3 3))
- Also: It's not new, this was true of the ISO spec from the start, I just mis-read it
- Con: It's a change, to a core output format, after a good decade

Some side notes
- The input parser already accepts the correct ISO form, so this won't break *our* consumption or ability to round-trip WKT

I'm inclined to accept, and make sure we have good change / news notes about it, as it's potentially breaking.